Originally released on a CD that came with issue 27 of Ptolemaic Terrascope magazine in August 1999, this magical version of "Big Store (orig)", the Jacobites classic that appeared on their first self-titled album in 1984, was subsequently included on the Mandra Gora Lighshow Society album "Lucille's Grotesque Diary Of Her Interstellar Journey To The Infamous Paisley Dungeons Of The Psychotic Leathernuns" in 2003.
Johnny Thunders & Jerry Nolan Back in 1985, I was put in touch with Nina Valez Guidio (aka Nina Antonia) to discuss a proposal that we should do a special issue of what A Nice Way To Turn Seventeen dedicated to Johnny Thunders. Nina was working on what would become “Johnny Thunders; In Cold Blood”, the official biography, that was eventually published in 1987 by Jungle Books. I was a fan of The Heartbreakers especially and held a slightly morbid fascination of the self-destructive tendencies of Johnny Thunders. More importantly, I loved the “Hurt Me” album that had come out in 1983 and I'd been at the Heartbreakers' March 1984 reunion shows in Nottingham (still one of the best live shows I ever saw) and London (as described below – an interesting show shall we say – glad I'd seen them in Nottingham though......). He'd appeared in issue 1 and issue 2 of WANWTTS with both pieces, “Heartbreaker! Hipshaker! Troublemaker! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!” and “My Guitar Never...
this is indeed a great version. do you know if it will be included in the box-set?
ReplyDeletePatrick
ReplyDeleteYes, it is planned to be included in the "Boy From Nowhere" box set. It's going to be 5 maybe 6 CDs - two best of, a whole unreleased album and a bunch of other great stuff.